Sunday, January 07, 2007

GM-NAA I/O (History of operating systems)

It is widely accepted that GM-NAA I/O was the first operating system. It is designed by Bob Patrick of General Motors and Owen Mock of North American Aviation in 1956.

Operating system was installed on IBM 704 (on the photo) and it's main function was batch processing.

GM-NAA I/O preceded SHARE Operating System.

(There is no relevant documentation about this operating system on the Internet and if you know something about it, please write the comment or write somewhere and give a link in the comment. Existing references only mention information from the first two paragraphs of this text.)

References

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.